Search This Blog

What will you create today?

Appliances (3) Asian (19) Baked (32) Bangladeshi (45) beef (8) Bread (12) breakfast (3) cake (13) Chicken (31) chocolate (10) Cookies (3) Curry (26) dessert (27) drinks (1) Eggs (5) Fish (7) Grilled (6) healthy (2) Indian (28) Juice (4) Lentils (2) Meat (7) middle eastern (2) Mutton (4) Pasta (2) Rice (11) Salad (2) Shrimp (9) Side Dish (17) smoothie (1) Snack (12) Soup (3) Thai (4) Vegetable (9) Vegetarian (23)

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Delicately Spiced Fried Rice starring Star Anise

In Dhaka this summer, I went to Mainland China- a Chinese restaurant chain originating from India. Everything they served was very different from my idea of "Chinese food", but DELICIOUS! I had "Claypot Rice" that was one of the the best things I've ever had, and I have been craving it ever since. So I tried to conjure up what it tasted like, and created this recipe, and it's one of the best rice dishes I've had, if I may say so myself :)

Ingredients
2 cups basmati rice, cooked

6-8 tablespoons peanut oil (or other vegetable oil)
8 dried red chilies, julienned
6/7 star anise seeds, whole (i think this is the star ingredient of this dish)
2 star anise seeds, ground (optional, add if you like the sweet-spice flavor)
1 clove
6-8 black peppercorns
0.5 a large onion
2 cloves of garlic
0.5 teaspoon sugar
salt to taste

Make two cups basmati rice in a rice cooker or pot.

In a wok, heat peanut oil and turn down the heat. Put julienned dried red chilies, whole star anise seeds, clove, and peppercorns in the oil. Let it infuse in low heat for about 10-12minutes, turning up heat will burn spices. Slice the onion very thinly. Mince the cloves of garlic. Put the onion and the garlic in the infused oil, and stir fry on medium heat. Put the sugar in the oil without stirring. Let it sit for few minutes.

Add the cooked rice to the wok. Sprinkle with salt and ground star anise (optional, add if you like the sweet-spice flavor)

The shrimp is optional and can be added at the end and tossed. To make the shrimp, I coated shrimp with eggwhite, cornstarch, salt, and then fried.
Star Anise on FoodistaStar Anise

4 comments:

  1. Apu,
    I tried it out. What to say?? It was fabulous. I passed by this spice so many times but never thought of giving it a try.It is a great light substitute of greasy biriyani.Already made it 3 times in one week. Plus makes a great leftover lunch with a salad.Thank you so much for sharing.

    Could you please be kind enough to post a chicken roast(deshi style) recipe and also chicken korma? I love your blog because it is almost like my wishlist. Thank you. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow glad you liked it! It's one of my favorites :) I am still looking for a good biye bari style roast recipe and also good korma... dont have one I like yet. I use Siddika Kabirs korma recipe...I need to get a course from some baburchi... Thanks for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been searching for a recipe of chinese rice with star anise frantically, and I found this one! Thanks. A couple of days back I had a rice dish in Yo China and it had such mild yet rich flavours and the dominant flavour was of course star anise. I thought for a long time that it was fennel seeds but then I saw a few star anises in the rice. Such a light, aromatic and palette cleansing taste it had. I'm going to try this one now. Thanks- Richa

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah if you like fennel or licorice, you like star anise. i like it a lot... but when serving to people i've seen people either really like it nor not at all... so i had to keep different options! hope it turns out well!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails